As the cold weather settles in and temperatures get cooler we look to things like our furnaces or gas fireplaces to warm up our homes. With that, CO exposure can be a hazard and can have life-threatening consequences.
In order to keep your home safe from CO hazards, follow these four CO Safety Tips:
Be aware of the hazard.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless and poisonous gas which is produced by common household appliances such as your furnace, fireplace, gas stove, propane heater, kerosene lanterns or any other fuel-burning equipment.
Eliminate CD as the source
It is a good idea to bet your home’s fuel-burning appliances and equipment inspected by a certified technician who works for a registered heating contractor. Ensure that the technician is properly registered to perform the inspection.
Install certified CO Alarms
Bu installing certified CO alarms, they will warn you of rising CO levels, giving you time to take potentially life-saving action.
Know the symptoms of CO poisoning.
They are similar to the flu – nausea, headache, burning eyes, confusion and drowsiness – except there is no fever. If they appear, immediately get everyone, including pets, outside to fresh air and call 911 and/or your local fire department.
For additional information on CO Safety Tips, and how to keep carbon monoxide out of your home, click here.